Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Week 13 (64. Dump the trash bin on the floor, pull on your rubber gloves, and start hunting for the truth that only your throwaways know.)

Secrets are little pieces of dreams and little pieces of lies. You want to hide them. Nothing is more frightening then someone finding out the things you keep away from the world. Which is why a wall is built up - to protect you and to keep others out. No one needs to know the things you don't even want to admit to yourself.
I sighed and wondered about these secrets that everyone keeps.
Maybe my happiest coworker is secretly deeply depressed. Maybe that innocent looking girl is actually a bit of a trollop with self esteem issues. Maybe my nearest and dearest friend secretly talks behind my back.
These are the things we will never know for sure.
Every person in the crowded room I'm in is like a jigsaw puzzle - the small pieces and tid bits add up to one big picture.
That guy over there may be wearing a plaid shirt but that's just one piece of who he is. It's fascinating when you start peeling away the layers and you realize how complex human beings are.
I get up and begin walking towards the door. Outside, the world is bustling around me - people are on the crosswalk, cars are passing by,  it looks like it may rain.
I begin to walk. I'm not headed any place. I just like to walk.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting take on the prompt--most people either take it literally and do a Sherlock Holmes trawl through their trash or take it figuratively, which is what you do, but in a direction or level I've never seen.

    The vignettish ending--the whole last graf--is deceptively simple, very strong, and I like this very much too: "Secrets are little pieces of dreams and little pieces of lies."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reread this--it's wearing very well with me.

    ReplyDelete